Monday, April 30, 2012

From 3rd grade to 3 babies...

c/o 2003 baby!

This weekend 5 of my dear friends came in (some from out of town) and stayed at my house for the whole weekend. Since three of us are now expecting around the same time, we decided to do a combined baby shower. The theme was Peter Rabbit and Friends, and it was really cute. It felt so special to share this with some of my closest friends who know me better than anyone, since they were a big part of my growing up! Though I have changed a lot from high school Kayleen, it really doesn't matter to them because they still know me. We have all changed, of course. We married different kinds of men, came to different political and religious beliefs, moved to different cities, work in different fields. I doubt anyone of us could have predicted back then where we are now - almost 10 years after graduating high school.


However, we would have been able to look at one another and said - yes, you will always be you in this unique way. Some things may be silly and superficial (me being the neat freak, Sarah being a goofball making us all laugh, Kristina telling us how it is, especially as a pregnant lady, Stevie being super sweet, Aubri being the overachiever, and Jessie being the planner....) but these qualities about us do make at least some of who we are. Or rather, they are important to those who know us because they identify us and make us unique and lovable. Not only that, but having friends follow you through the years, I think, can be a huge practice in acceptance, humility, and love. Because, you know, people do change - and sometimes in really big ways. Our views change and in some cases have become quite different. But to be able to still spend 48 hours together and not blow up at one another is a great sign of friendship. We are not just "facebook friends" - we are real friends. I have learned through this process of 'growing up' that adults can be so harsh. We do go crazy judging others and fighting for what we believe in so passionately that we can forget to be charitable. Having my friends come stay with me and visit after we have all become adults with 6 separate lives was just a tremendous experience. I know we are blessed to have maintained friendships for so long. It is not something that happens to everyone. I owe a lot of my self-esteem and confidence to the friends I had growing up. I always felt loved and supported no matter what I did...and still do to this day.

I guess without further over-analisis I will just say that this weekend was a very special experience and I'm so grateful it all came together to happen. Thank you to all the spouses who gave us up for the weekend (especially mine who had to also manage two toddlers :) and thank you to Aubri, Jessie and Stevie who worked so hard to put the shower together. It was amazing. Everyone had a lovely time and now I feel much more prepared in the way of baby boy items :)


I hope, hope, hope that once all our babies arrive that we will all be able to get together again (it will be tricky because the three of us who are having babies live the furthest apart!) but our babies must meet!

Love you gals!

No comments:

Post a Comment