Blogging is a way of creating, right? Right.
Okay, so here are just a few thoughts I have on being co-sharers in creation. The most obvious and fundamental way we contribute is through procreation. Did you know that the very first commandment we are given in the bible is.....to procreate! Genesis 1:28 (First book, first chapter, even!): "And God Blessed them, and God said unto them, be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth and subdue it"
So there you go. It's important for Christians to acknowledge this. I think the God-given desire to contribute to the next generation is key to understanding who we are as creative beings. Social pressures at various points in history will either favor this commandment or reject it. Right now we are definitely in a time where men and women starting families and having babies is put at the bottom of the list of "important things to do." For women, especially, the pressure to have a career is ridiculous.
You might argue that having a career and working on something bigger than yourselves is a form of creation. I would agree with you for the most part. I believe that any kind of contribution that a person makes to the betterment of this world is important and can be tied back to the urge to be creative. Especially if you are working on bringing something into existence that did not exist before. Even my husband, who is a computer programmer, gets to share in an important form of creativity. He writes code and brings new programs into existence. How cool is that? And so essential to the times we are living in where everything is computerized. So, off he goes every morning to be creative. Lucky him! (I think he'll tell you to wait one minute - sometimes it's not quite that glamorous!)
You might also argue that someone should hardly be faulted if they are not able to be procreative. Of course not! My goodness. Whenever I've seen this heartbreaking scenario play out, with my friends and family members, it is devastating. To the point where it's a total grieving process once it is discovered that something is not right with one's fertility. I hope that no one is silly enough to believe that I fault anyone for something biologically out of their control. I would hope that this intense sense of loss only emphasizes the importance of procreation in the first place! That it is not something to be taken for granted or to suppress. As for their "contribution" to the world, often times those I know who have gone through the pain of infertility are the most beautifully creative people I know. They find a way to share in God's "bringing into being," however and whenever they can. These souls are inspirations to me to not only appreciate my own fertility, but to also continue to make the most of my time and talent when it comes to other ways of being creative. Creativity is not limited to baby-making.
In fact, I tend to get frustrated, like I am this morning, when I go a long time without doing something other than caring for babies, that seems important. It may sound silly, but being crafty is important to me. The mundane, repetitive task of caring for the little creatures of this house gets....well, tedious! Yes, really there is nothing more important than nurturing them. Their being in my life is a gift. I am charged with the primary role in forming them, educating them, turning their eyes toward God, their creator. I take this very seriously. At the same time, the creative urge does include feeling inclined to do other things, besides nursing babies and cleaning up messes. Sometimes a good craft or a batch of jam helps satisfy it. Sometimes it's just writing a blog post that helps. Sometimes photography. Whatever it may be - creativity is a life line. Creativity is life.
Our generous Creator, God the Father, gave us the glorious task of being co-creators with Him. What a task! What an honor! What a gift. We should pursue creativity with a sense of wonder, delight, and joy.
What about you? What are some of the ways you are creative in your life? Do you feel frustrated like me, if you go too long without creating something beautiful?
:) I like sewing lately, but also have been updating the pictures around our house the last week or two. Creating things, even if something functional, definitely gives me a sense of accomplishment and breaks up the monotony of the daily routine. It helps make life more interesting!
ReplyDeleteI think its really important to be creative ... It stretches our brains in different ways and its soothing somehow
ReplyDeleteI love the picture book (?) with the silvery motif running down the edge ... very pretty
Being creative and making something nice gives a sense of satisfaction and I think it probably encourages your little people - they see that they can make things and create beauty out of things around them - that's important?