She highly encouraged mothers and fathers to take their children out every single day to view nature, breathe fresh air, and develop a deep appreciate for God's green earth. From what I've read, many homeschoolers try to shoot for once a week, depending on where you live, which is a little more doable for the likes of a pregnant mother with three. I've written before how I'm generally an indoor person, but even so, I can handle short outings with my little nature observers. Especially when I know how good they are for all our spirits.
Charlotte Mason has lots of specifics to keep in mind while on your nature walk, but from what I can tell, you can't really do them wrong. In this case, yes I took my camera which probably affected the whole learning process slightly, but it's not something I do every time. It's important to let the child do the leading (although some children require more prompting to make observations or at least to share them with you) because you don't want to be simply lecturing. It's all about them coming to their own appreciation of the beautiful earth God created for us. You should be available to answer all their questions, though!
Today basically consisted of a very short, simple walk around our neighborhood then coming inside to draw some of the specimens we collected. The weather has been finicky lately; one moment it's rainy and windy, and then for a brief moment the sun will peak out through the clouds. Such is the PNW in February though, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised.
Nature walks and nature studies are just aspect of homeschooling that make me believe there is so much great potential in this style of education. Children are not separated from the outdoors as much when they are not limited to a classroom setting for the vast majority of their educational careers. I find it so lovely and freeing. I think about myself as a child, and I bet I would have loved to go outside more and keep a nature journal as part of my schooling. Who knows, had I done that I might not have grown into such an indoor girl after all*?
*though I should note that my mom was really wonderful at taking my brother and I to parks and fun places as children. My younger brother was truly a ball of energy so she had to! So it's not as if anyone failed to take me outside. I'm just saying that in the context of school I see so many benefits to childhood development. The power of observation, appreciation of nature, and breathing fresh air, just to name a few.

No comments:
Post a Comment