When we first moved into our house four years ago, we had the idea that one day we might want to get chickens. We had a pretty good sized lot and nice yard area for chickens. Every spring since then we'd think about it and end up not feeling ready - until this year of course!
We didn't even feel all that ready but thought, what the heck? We'd better take the plunge now or else we might not ever do it. Why wait until you are 100% prepared!? Can you be 100% prepared for anything, really? That's just not how Mike and I do things. Sometimes we just jump in and figure it out :o) Fake it 'till you make it, right?
Well, we are not faking how much we are enjoying having them so far! Granted, it's been less than a week - but check out this cuteness:
Bringing them home
Last Wednesday the Grange in our area got a shipment of hundreds of chicks. They were supposed to get the breeds we wanted on Tuesday but not all the ones we wanted came in. I kept refreshing their facebook page ALL day waiting to see when I could go get them. The reason I wanted to go right away was because a few weekends previously, about FOUR HUNDRED chicks were gone in 24 hours. Apparently chickens are at an all time high in popularity in the suburbs, so I knew the demand was greater than the supply.
On Wednesday they finally got our breeds in so I piled in the kids and zipped down there! I had butterflies! I picked out two Buff Orpingtons, one Leghorn, one Golden Wynadotte, one Plymoth Rock, and one Americauna. Plus their chicken scratch, the feed, and the pine shavings. It came to about 49.00 for everything, which I thought was pretty good.
I popped them in their little brooder and the kids and I just sat and watched them check out their new home!
We didn't do a TON of research (like I said, Mike and I like to figure things out as we go ;) but we did look up enough to know what they needed to start out. Water, food, clean bedding, and a heat lamp. But instead of getting a standard heat lamp and bulb, we went for this brooder heater, since it's much safer, especially with little kids.
Louisa picked out her favorite chick immediately (the Leghorn)
Then on Saturday, Mike and I attended a little Chick 101 class at the same place we got them, for additional information. We also picked up two more chicks to add to the flock. Another Americuana and another Leghorn.
After bringing home those additional two, it became apparent almost immediately that the Leghorn was a little weaker and less energetic than her peers...
So I held her a ton. At first I held her close (pretty much on my chest) for about two hours, then Mike held her for a while, and then we had to get going out to dinner so I had to set her down. We separated her from the others because they were being mean to her (not really, I'm sure it was just nature's way but they were pecking at her and not leaving her alone...) When we got back from dinner I scooped her up (feeling sad I left her) and she was still alive but still really weak. I tried to get her to drink some water but after holding her for about another hour she died in my arms. Poor little thing. I didn't name her but I will always remember her! And I'm glad she didn't die alone.
So now we have seven little chickies. They are so sweet and fun! The kids love them, especially Louisa. I love the way Michael says, "baby chick-ens." I'm glad our kids will have this experience. I wonder who I am becoming though, because I've never been much of an animal person. I'm worried I'm going to end up on a homesteading farm with a bunch of kids and animals....
this was not my life plan, I swear
They are already developing personalities, I can't believe it! They are flock animals, and we were told there would definitely be a "leader" of the flock. It's true, we already know who it is: It's this little girl (who was actually my favorite from the get-go):
She is the most curious, outgoing, and we've seen her keeping the others in order. She has already been the first to hop on TOP of the waterer, eat a spider (Mike and I took her out to see if she would; NO PROBLEM!) and when you pick her up she is so hard to photograph because she wants to move and wiggle out of your hands! Again, we haven't named them yet but should be starting to come up with names in the next few weeks! (Suggestions welcome!)
Look at her!
They should be ready to put outdoors in 8-10 weeks and possibly laying in 18! I can't wait! Such a good idea!
(Back there by the playhouse is where Mike is going to build the chicken coop in the next few weeks with our good friend who is helping!)

















Oh my goodness, they're adorable! I especially love the little one with the designs on being "alpha" - the black stripe at her eyes is too cute! I'm trying to sweet-talk my way into some chickens, especially after seeing your photos!
ReplyDelete